Thursday, April 21, 2011

On teaching and education


I've been pretty bad at going to class this past semester. Like I said, getting married and adjusting my life accordingly seemed to take over, in some sense. Fortunately, at least in one of my classes, my professor knows me well and was letting me make up some missed work. I was to lead a class discussion today, something I've done for him many times before.

This time, however, he decided to throw me to the wolves and leave me to run a college class. He didn't even come to class, and I had no idea that would happen! However, I was not intimidated. The start we got off to was a little slow (the end of the semester means people stop reading the books or giving a shit...), but by the end of the class period where he did show up, people were deep in a heated argument about the text and making a plethora of assertions. Success.

I have been a teacher in many facets of my life. I taught debate to other students when I originally learned how to do it. I've lead class discussions on one topic, and some professors who know me better have allowed me to teach whole classes. I've trained people at work, which seems easy at first but is much more intricate than we might guess. In every attempt at teaching I've experienced, I have been told my attempt was successful. And that's a good feeling. Today, I discovered that getting in front of the class to teach was actually relieving and put me at ease. I like teaching more than I like being myself around people.

He asked me after class, "Where have you been?" I responded, "I got married." His retort was, "Did that take the whole semester?" No, it didn't. Why did I stop coming to classes? I've had some shitty teachers in my life, but I have a lot of very supportive college professors in my life who have bent over backwards to make sure I am successful. I am very lucky. So why?

There are a few reasons. Firstly, the beginning of this semester included a bunch of leftover GERs I had put off, which was very discouraging. A large lecture class about something in which I wasn't interested. Drop. Drop. Drop. Then, a new relationship, and a subsequent marriage - it's emotionally consuming.

I think the biggest obstacle has been looking at my education life and being dissatisfied. Part of me still pines to go to a "real university." I wanted an Ivy League education. Here I am at UAA, being almost as unchallenged as I was through most of high school. There are a lot of similarities. The professor in question once even asked me why I was at UAA, and told me I deserved to go to a better school. I'm inclined to agree. But not everyone would, I'm sure.

Then there's the obstacle of being a military wife. I won't be in one place for long, for a while. I know I can't finish my degree in the next year. Then, what? Phoenix online? I'm better than that. And how do I pay for it now? What about when Joe gets out of the military? I'll be in my mid 20s. Will I want to go back to college? Will I be able to? I'm scared. I feel like the circumstances are against me in this realm. I feel at a loss. So I guess I started to let my education fall through the cracks. I started to settle on ideas of management or entrepreneurship at best, because you don't need a college degree for that. Will I be too old to get my PhD that I've always coveted? Get my undergrad at 26 instead of 22, my MA presumably when I'm nearly 30, will I want all those extra years of school? Is it worth it? Will I have to get a job to support a family? It's like my dreams are flashing before my eyes. And it all seems to not matter when I'm going to some sort of unsatisfying and mediocre state school.

I'm discouraged. I can't help it.

15 comments:

  1. You are just in transition right now. You will figure it all out- I was a military wife at age 18 and chose not to go to school. I never regretted the marriage part, but have always regretted the education part. It will come together for you. Don't give up your dreams, you can have both. Your education is important and you will find a way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are complaining about being a military wife and moving to other places, but you were also recently complaining about not understanding why people would want to stay in the same place? The reason why you are not going to be able to graduate in a year is because you are dropping out of classes like crazy. The emotional strife that comes with a wedding? That's bs because I got married last summer and I was working on planning it over the school year. not to mention that I met my wife YEARS before we got engaged, not months. So it's your own damn fault that all of this is happening. So quit with the "whoa is me" bullshit and grow up like the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Please don't ever procreate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you feel safe with your elusive anonymity. Your value judgments about my marriage are simultaneously unwelcome and uninformed. This is my personal blog, and, as such, no one is forcing you to read about my personal quandaries and thoughts if you find them unreconcilable. The red 'x' beckons to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I happened upon it and, as such, find your lameness wanting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You didn't just 'happen' upon it, considering you referenced my Facebook status in your above comment, so don't play ignorance.

    I bet your wife would resent a comment about wedding planning not being stressful, as I presume she would appreciate a man who grew a pair and avoided partaking in petty internet feuds without even offering his identity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quit jumping to conclusions, don't get down on yourself like you probably did to your teachers. I'm sure they did "bend over backwards."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe your comments are really unfounded. I invite you to tell us who you really are. Your half-witted comments about my wife are not welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does commenting under the name of a character from a fantasy novel make you feel like less of a coward for attacking a person anonymously?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anyone can come across this blog. I'm in Australia I don't know who you really are. I gathered all the stuff I have said from the shit you have spewed. Enjoy "Married life." Peace out bitches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just thought there were some very conflicting comments you made and felt like commenting about them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not getting any traffic from Australia. Everything accessing this blog is coming from my Facebook. Not only that, but some of the things you're referencing are things not mentioned in my blog, and only mentioned in my private Facebook account. You're not as smart as you think you are, and if you were from Australia and happened upon this blog you wouldn't feel the need to defend yourself by stating it. Go ahead and keep living vicariously through me in silence; it's much less obtrusive that way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://i.imgur.com/xwcRr.png <- no traffic from Australia motherfucker.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Catherine, I love you. Your concerns are normal. Options are available to finish and finance your education. As a military wife, many universities will also offer you special scholarships or allow you to apply for regular military scholarships as a military spouse. I've had to deal with a lot of the same moving concerns, especially with getting "pinned down" in an area where its difficult to reasonably access a physical university with my intended program in mind. Its normal to have conflicting thoughts about the future, especially when considering many aspects of your future are not in your control (i.e. husband's job takes you someplace).

    I love Harding Grim's line:
    "That's bs because I got married last summer and I was working on planning it over the school year. not to mention that I met my wife YEARS before we got engaged, not months. So it's your own damn fault that all of this is happening"

    One year of marriage qualifies him as a marriage and family therapist? Get real! I also got married last summer, I also planned my marriage through the school year, and I knew Todd years before we got married. Same quals. Yet I certainly approve of your marriage and how you generally handle yourself. Not everyone needs a cookie cutter dating/engagement time period. It's about maturity, not length of dating.

    If he truly is in "Australia" then he should shut the hell up. He doesn't know you. Even if this is public blog, you don't give marital advice when you don't know the person.

    ReplyDelete